The parish church has been at the heart of Selmeston for a thousand years and continues to play an important part in village life.
Selmeston is the only local church, with a priest, to be mentioned in the Domesday Book. Unusually, the churchyard is circular, with complex ley lines centred on the font. The church was rebuilt in 1867 copying or re-using some detail from the mainly C13 and C14 original church.
Selmeston is now part of a benefice that comprises Selmeston with Alciston, Arlington, Berwick and Wilmington.
There is a list of vicars displayed in Selmeston church,
dating from 1350, and the church registers date from 1667.
The beautiful stained glass windows in the church are mainly copies of the originals: the East window being of the Decorated and the rest of the Perpendicular period.
The timber arcade is early 15th century, but has been considerably restored. Such arcading is unique in Sussex churches.
The Easter Sepulchre bears an inscription in memory of Beatrice Bray (d1532) Wife of Sir Edward Bray (Capt of Mary Rose 1513) and must date from shortly after her death, as such sepulchres ceased to be used after 1547.
Selmeston Church 13th century piscina
The church porch 1910
The plaque reads: The body of Henry Rogers a painfvll Preacher in this churche two and thirty yeeres who dyd the sixt of May Ano dni 1639, and in the yeere of his age 67 lyeth heere expecting the Second Coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
In the churchyard, one of the notable headstones is that of Frederick Stanley Mockford, originator of the distress call 'May Day'. The name is from the French m'aider. "Venez m'aider" means "come help me".
Learn More about the air radio pioneer here
The new stained glass window for Selmeston Church has been installed.
The window has been designed around the Cuckmere Pilgrim Path and commemorates June Mockett,
a dedicated former parishioner and deeply attached to the church.
Video Copyright Mairi Thomas. Photo Credit: Mairi Thomas photography.
Read the full story below:
The church of Selmeston is one of seven churches you can visit on a circular walk called the Pilgrim Path.