Listed buildings in the parish
CHURCH FARM COTTAGES One building, two cottages. Early C19. Two storeys. Four windows. Tile-hung on a red brick base. Half-hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.
GREEN HOUSE C17 or earlier timber-framed building, refaced with red brick on ground floor and tile-hung above. Hipped tiled roof with pentice at west side. Casement windows. Brick chimney breast on north wall. Two storeys. Four windows.
MAYS, flanking wall and gate-piers. Impressive square C18 house erected by a Mr Fuller. Three storeys. Three windows. Fronted with grey headers with red brick dressings and quoins. Stringcourses and cornice of Roman cement. Parapet of grey headers. The main front is flanked by narrow recessed portions of red brick like pilasters. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with segmental fanlight and door of six fielded panels. On each side of the front is a curved red brick wall and grey headers ending in piers with ball caps. The sides of the house are of red brick and grey headers alternately.
LUDLAY C18 or earlier. Two storeys. Three windows. Ground floor red brick, above tile-hung. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Modern Georgian doorway. Brick chimney breast on east wall.
TILTON Early C19, with some earlier work behind. Two storeys. Four windows, the westernmost window bay projecting. Stuccoed. Hipped slate roof. Wide eaves. Glazing bars intact. Unusual porch with columns, pediment, round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight and door of six fielded panels.
THE PARISH CHURCH Built of flint with tiled roofs. Chancel with south chapel and nave with south aisle. Bell turret. The medieval church was largely rebuilt on the old foundations by Ewan Christian in 1865-7, when the south chapel was added. C14 style. The nave consists of two wooden octagonal pillars on stone bases, as it did in the old church. Chancel has late perpendicular Easter sepulchre.
FLINT HOUSE Originally the village school. Dated 1846. One storey. Three windows. Faced with knapped flints with painted brick dressings and quoins. Slate roof. Casement windows. Gabled porch with scalloped bargeboards. Over the doorway is the date 1846 and the inscription ‘N and L Septs’. In the north gable end is the date 1847 and in the south end the date 1876, possibly referring to when the building was extended by one window-bay.
THE OLD COTTAGE AND HONEYSETTS COTTAGE One building. Probably C17. Two storeys. Three windows. Ground floor red brick and grey headers, first floor partly tile-hung. Half-hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.
FAIRLAND C15. Two storeys. Three windows. Red brick. Eaves cornice of brick cogging. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows. Gabled porch.
WHEELWRIGHTS C17 or earlier timber-framed building, refaced with stucco on ground floor and tile-hanging above but the timbering with red brick infilling exposed in the gable end. Tiled roof. Horizontally-sliding sash windows. Two storeys. Two windows.
ROSE COTTAGE AND EAST VIEW One building. Probably C17. Two storeys. Four windows. Red brick and grey headers alternately. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows.
BARN south-west of Ludlay barn. Early-mid C19. Coursed flint having red brick dressings and cart-entry bays with decorative blue-brick headers plain tile roof. Yard (north-east) side: five bays, the two on left narrower. Plinth. Offset butresses to ends and flanking central cart-entry bay which has hinged double board door replacing former sliding door (iron runners survive on plinth and below eaves), the brick sections flanking the door and the butresses having blue-brick bands to upper half (which is the part most visible from a distance, above the yard walls). Slit vents to outer bays, set on three levels in pattern; on right side of cart-entry bay a quadrant brick drinking trough. Half-hipped roof. Rear: lower eaves and shorter plinth; offset butresses as before. Cart-entry has side-sliding door of corrugated iron. Left return: a boarded-up loading door flanked by slit vents. Right return: smaller loading door flanked by slit vents; corrugated iron lean-to not of special interest. INTERIOR: brick, concave corners. Rear arcade with jowelled wooden posts on brick stylobates and arch braces up to tie-beams, collared principal rafter roof trusses; through purlins; long straight windbraces; plank ridge-piece.
CHURCH FARM RESTAURANT (formerly Corin’s then Sillett’s Restaurant) Probably C17. Two storeys. Four windows. Ground floor red brick and grey headers, above tile-hung. Tiled roof. Casement windows.
THE VICARAGE (now the Old Vicarage) Early C19. Two storeys. Three windows. Stuccoed. Slate roof in two hips. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with rectangular fanlight. One window-bay to the right of this built out on ground floor.
SHERRINGTON MANOR T-shaped house with modern additions. The west wing is C17 or earlier. Two storeys. Four windows. Red brick. Tiled roof. Casement windows. The north-south wing was originally timber-framed but was rebuilt in the C18 in red brick and grey headers alternately and with a higher elevation than the west wing. Hipped tiled roof. Sash windows with glazing bars intact. Two C19 bays on ground floor only. Gabled stone porch with wrought iron gate. Two storeys. Six windows. Modern additions to south and west.
COBB COURT Good L-shaped C18 house. Two storeys and attic. Five windows. Two hipped dormers. Red brick and grey headers alternately. Wooden eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Doorway with fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze, pediment and door of six fielded panels.
COTTAGE AT TILTON north-west of the house. C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor faced with flints with red brick dressings and quoins, above tile-hung. Tiled roof. Casement windows.
WAR MEMORIAL This is a First World War memorial. Made of granite, it takes the form of a square cut, roughly hewn cross with tall shaft and short arms. It stands on a stone plinth, cut to retain the appearance of natural rock, the front face of which is smooth and bears the inscription. This reads ‘To the memory of the men of Selmeston and Alciston who fell in the Great War 1914 -1918’, followed by fifteen names. It stands at a road junction on the edge of the village of Selmeston, in sight of two listed buildings. War memorials qualify for listing because of their historical and cultural significance at a local and national level. The design of this cross is exceptionally simple and a powerful memorial to those who died in the First World War.
PART OF AN ANGLO-SAXON INHUMATION AT MANOR COTTAGES Although it has been partially disturbed by C19 and modern construction work, the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Manor Cottages survives comparatively well, and has been shown by partial excavation to contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which it was constructed. A further Anglo-Saxon cemetery and a number of Anglo-Saxon burial mounds are situated on the Sussex Downs within c.4 km. These are broadly contemporary and their close association illustrates the relatively dense early Anglo-Saxon settlement of East Sussex. The location of the cemetery within the village of Selmeston, close to the extant medieval church, will provide evidence for the (as yet) little understood relationship between early Anglo-Saxon and later medieval settlement and burial practices. The cemetery, which dates to the period between C5 and early C7, has been estimated, by analogy with similar examples, to contain at least 100 east-west aligned, rectangular graves. These survive at a depth of c.1.5m beneath the present ground surface. The cemetery was discovered during the construction of Manor Cottages in 1897 when at least two graves were disturbed. These burials were accompanied by a rich assemblage of grave goods including swords, spears, glass vessels and a fragment of a gilt saucer brooch. Subsequent partial excavations carried out in 1950, 1963 and during the 1970s have uncovered a further forty-three graves, all except two of which were found to contain male burials. Soil stains found in the graves indicated that at least some of the bodies were originally buried in wooden coffins, although these had disintegrated over the years. Manor Cottages, all associated outbuildings, structures and steps, the modern surfaces of all paths, and all modern walls and fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is included.